Moving backend database
But if I rename the _be in the original location (which really should be deleted -- but glad I didn't yet), my front-end will not even come up (it shows the template page for newdatabases).
If I rename the _be database in the original location (which should not be involved anymore) to its correct name, the front end comes up, and tables show they are still correctly pointing to the new location.
I need to know how the original _be database from which I copied for the move, could have any relationship to my _fe pointing to the new location.
This is all I need to be complete my split, since I will be moving the split database off my pc into a server environment, now that I have installed Bob Larson's tool to enable auto-updates (a great piece of work).
Thank you for taking the time to report an issue.
What's wrong... Please write below.
I have tried to link the frontend of the database onto the backend/SQL which I have followed the guide on MS (I hope is right ),
1st have I done it right by only moving the backend into SQL, 2nd when I have linked the frontend to the backend in SQL, I try to open one of the forms and it does not work, when I try and open the table in the frontend I get a message with says"ODBC - Call Failed" and when it opens it only has 63 recordes and not the 4500 which it should have and every field has #Name?
Before the database is closed, I would like the user to be able to compact the backend of the database. Is itpossible to compact the backend of a database from the frontend? Or is this something that just needs to be done manually?
Must it be on a shared network location in a Windows environment? Can it be placed on some FTP server?
My problem is that I need to create a form (Combo filters) with sub-form (List of the columns). I don't know how to show the data in this form / sub-form from backend database,
Is there a way to make the tables read only? or make users re-enter the backend pw everytime they try to access the tables?
PS Why did the program dev's set up '07 like that?! I'm so confused Why pw protect a backend if access just stores it
I looked at the Backend database from SQL Server Management Studio and ReadOnly is set to False.
It looks like the problem may be the way I linked the Backend or the way Access opens the SQL connect.
Any ideas what I need to do to make Access 2007 access the SQL Server Express backend database not in a ReadOnly mode?
I have decided to move the database into SQL, I used the export wizard and moved the database into SQL which seemed to work, and it I look at the backend which SQL made I seem to see mydata, and if I open SQL it seems to be in that to.
But my problem is, how do I link the access frontend to the SQL backend.
Rather than risk disturbing this database I was considering creating another backend database with the original tables linked to the new backend. Then the front ends would link to the new back end and by association, the linked tables in the old back end. Will this work or is it just plain nuts/bad practice?
The database will be placed in a shared folder on one of the PCs. I will need to split the database. But because I am not on this network and can not connect to this sharedfolder, how can I split the database on my computer with the proper Network Path of the shared folder and then give them a copy of the backend and front end instead of giving them thedatabase as is and then guide them to split it?
Also, the users will have to have Read/Write access to this folder in order to used the backend of the database. I can convert the frontend to ACCDE, but not the backend. If the users can connect to this folder with Read/Write access, they will have access to an unsecured backend.
Unless I don't know any better, how does this splitting provide and security for the data?
I was never able to get the tables linked, so eventually the only thing I could see to do was try resplitting the database using the Wizard. After all, This worked really smoothly, except it apparently allowed me to effortlessly wipe out all the data in my backend database. If nothing else, I want to post a warning to others that this thing is a menace.
My next step was to restore my backend from yesterday's backup by copying it over the old corrupted backend, and using the Linked Table Manager to refresh the links. Maybe it wasn't necessary to refresh the links, but my applications seems to be working again.
I still don't know how to add the new table to my backend database. This is another subject not addressed in any of my reference books. And now, the table is missing from the frontend too, though it is still listed as an object. When I try to open it, I get the error message that the Access db engine cannot find the input table.