8 Things You Didn't Know You Could Do In Windows 7′s Task Manager

One thing the article doesn't mention is that you get a better picture of whats running on your PC if you click on the "show processes from users" button in the Processes tab.

Sponsored Links:

Related Topics

Easily Enable or Disable the Task Manager Using TaskMgrED
When getting infected with a virus, one of the most common things that can happen is for the Windows Task Manager to be disabled. In such a scenario, every time you try to launch it, you will receive a message saying that the 'Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator'. In this case, the first thing you should do is to install a good antivirus solution and disinfect your PC. If you need recommendations on good security solutions, check our 'Security for Everyone' series. After you disinfect your PC, you can enable your Task Manager again by using a free tool called TaskMgrED, developed by one of our team members. In this article you will find out how this tool works and also receive the download link.

Windows locks up until launch Task Manager.
Just recently Windows (Win7 x64) has started locking up not allowing me to do anything (getting the audible click you get when you try clicking on an application when there is a popup you have to deal with first, though there is nothing that needs dealing with) until I press "Ctrl+Alt+Del" & then select "Launch Task Manager".

As soon as Task Manager Is Launched I can just close it without the need to do anything else & Windows is once again responding normally.

Open Task Manager
Task Manager displays the programs, processes, and services that are currently running on your computer. You can use Task Manager to monitor your computers performance or to close a program that's not responding .

Windows Task Manager has stopped working
Strange issue. When I attempt to start task manager, the application starts but I get an immediate error message:

Followed by:

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

The only button available is “Close program”. No other option but to take it.

I have researched this on Microsoft sites but they attribute the problem to malware and really don’t give any solution to the issue. I have a full Zone Alarm suite and the security scanshows no issues so I don’t think malware is the problem.

I’ve tried modifying the registry entry and letting it create a new one but that doesn't’t help, either.

Task Manager and Resource Monitor in Windows 7
Learn about: How to use Task Manager and Resource Monitor for managing running applications and logged on users and checking system performance in Windows 7.

Only services on task manager
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I noticed recently when I brought up task manager all I had was a window with nothing but services. There were no tabs for applications, processes etc. What gives?

Windows Explorer doesn't work
Windows explorer always freezes and crashes when I try to open it. The window will pop up, but freeze immediately and crash. Due to this, I can't open many programs or save/open things. Browsers still work (I'm using Chrome), but if I try to save to upload anything, Chrome will crash.

I remember I did try doing system restores, but it didn't do much. I can however, stilldownload things.

I can't use programs Photoshop or MS Word because that requires opening and saving, which, of course, doesn't work. They will freeze and crash if I try to do anything.

There are still a few applications that will run, such as Itunes and Skype. But inconveniently, my ipod stopped working around the same time and I tried restoring with this computer, but it didn't work. I had to restore it from another computer instead.

There is one program that I can open and save things in and that's Paint Tool Sai, which is a drawing program, but I can only do so with a USB drive.

I can't type anything into the Search bar when I press the start button, Windows Explorer just crashes again and my whole computer freezes up until I close Windows Explorer completely. Ican't go into Personalize from the desktop either

I've run some virus scans, but they haven't found anything. My dad's tried running some recovery programs at first, but they would all freeze in the middle of running and become non-responsive.

He's been out of town for months so he hasn't been able to further investigate my computer.

I remember when the problem first occurred my laptop would freeze at random times and I'd have to hold down the power button and force it to shut down. Being unable to do anything, I stopped using the computer for several months, but recently tried to coax it to do something.

I'm only really able to use Chrome, but sometimes pages load really slowly. However, by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete and opening Task Manager, I can get the pages going, but this occurs relatively often.

I don't know how to back up my files because Windows Explorer won't run.

I have found [LINK] here extremely similar to my situation but I'm not sure what to do.

However, for me, the problem occurred right after I downloaded a Videospin trial. But I stopped the download halfway in because I didn't need it anymore. My computer was fine up until the next morning when I turned it on and it became what it is now.

I couldn't get into Add/Remove programs right from the start, so I don't know what's going on there.

Tips and Tricks about Using the Task Manager
We would like to finish our coverage of the Task Manager in Windows 7 with an article showing some advanced tricks about how it can be used. The article will include: how to manage active services, identify the processes used by a service, view data about your system’s resource usage or your network utilisation and how to manage other active users on your computer.

CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring "Windows Security" Dialog Box
When CTRL+ALT+DELETE is pressed together, the Task Manager comes up instead of the "windows Security" Dialog box that has buttons "Lock Computer", "Log Off" ,etc

How to set windows to display that dialog box instead of Task Manager

Programs sometimes missing in task bar
In Windows 7, when I boot, sometimes a couple of programs don't show up in the task bar. Mostly, it's WinPatrol and MSE.

But, when I check task manager I can see they are running. Here's a screen shot of what's running now.

Exit a program that isn't responding
If a program on your computer stops responding, Windows will try to find the problem and fix it automatically. If you don't want to wait, you can end the program yourself by using Task Manager. Using Task Manager to end a program yourself might be faster than waiting, but any unsaved changes will be lost. If you have important work that you want to keep, wait a few minutes and let Windows try to fix the problem first. Watch this video to learn how to exit a program that isn't responding.

Four user names in the task manager Pavla/System/Local svc/Network service
My new Windows 7 computer has 4 user names in the windows task manager. (Pavla, LOCAL SERVICE, SYSTEM, NETWORK SERVICE) Why? can I delete some of these or has someone infiltrated my system?

It used to be plain blue now it has a dove on it.

Windows Explorer has stopped working.
Just this morning when I booted up Vista I got this message:

"Windows explorer has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".

I don't remember doing anything or downloading anything malicious, really. It was fine last night.

Anyway, afterwards the screen is black with no desktop or task bar. It takes me to the Windows Update page, but the update doesn't work (Code 80243004). However, I can still access my stuff and use the Internet. There's just no task bar on the bottom, just black.

I am not a clever man when it comes to computers, so I googled it and got some solutions. I tried System Restore, but that did nothing. Safe Mode has the same problem. My CD drive is broken, so I can't do anything with it.

I scanned it twice with Malware Bytes and it's clean. I also cannot get explorer to run by New Task in task manager; it just gives me the samemessage.

See details about your computer's performance using Task Manager
The Performance tab in Task Manager provides advanced details about how your computer is using system resources, such as random access memory (RAM) and the central processing unit (CPU).

CPU using 100% CPU assets after log on.
Win 7 Ultimate.

After I turn the box on and log in, my CPU-gadget will show that something is using 100% of the CPU assets. I try to get task manager up, but it takes a while due to the unknown program using the assets.
When I do get Task Manager open, It opens in the single user mode and I have to go to "show processes from users", since the single user shows normal usage. That takes more time. Bythe time I get that open, the CPU has settled down to minimal use.

Is there a way I can set Task Manager to open automatically in the 'show all users' mode, upon boot up? I would really like to know what is using up all the CPU assets.

I have run Malwarebytes scan, CCleaner Registry Scan, and Avast Antivirus in both "boot" and Windows modes, along with a few other online AV scans, and all show optimum performance, no malware, etc.

End a process
If you notice a process is reducing your computer's performance-because it either uses a high percentage of central processing unit (CPU) resources or a large amount of random access memory (RAM)-you can use Task Manager to end the process. However, you should try closing your open programs to see if the process ends before using Task Manager to end the process.

Corrupt Task Scheduler Problem
I'm running Windows 7 Pro SP1. When I open The Windows Task Scheduler the first message that comes up is Task Proxy: The Task Image is Corrupt or has been tampered with. At last count it looks like all tasks are saying this.

14 I've counted so far. I have this problem on two computers. I did a Windows repair upgrade not to long ago to fix some other problems. Is there a way to corre ct this problem without a complete reload.

Task Creation With Task Scheduler
Recently, we've covered how to create a basic task using Task Scheduler's 4-steps wizard. Now it is time to address the topic of creating advanced tasks, for those of you who want to have maximum control. Task Scheduler is one of the most powerful tools that Windows 7 has to offer so, be prepared for a large range of choices which allow you to set up every possible detail about task. Are you ready? Click on Read more...

Task Proxy: Task Image is Corrupt or Has Been Tampered With
I'm running Windows 7 Pro when I open Windows task scheduler I get. Task Proxy: Task Image is Corrupt or Has Been Tampered With. The only problem is where is it so I can delete it and rebuild it.

Game won't Install
I tried to install my game but it won't open. No errors no none thing. But when I go to my Windows Task Manager. It gives me WerFault.exe - Windows Problem reporting and install.exe - Install and then closes it 2 secs later. It used to work on my old computer with windows 7 but not on my one (My new one is windows 7 as well)